Who should I speak to if my child has learning or language difficulties?

Class teacher

Hornbill School has an ‘open-door’ policy- if you have any concerns about your child’s learning, we recommend that you discuss them with the class teacher in the first instance. Either speak to your child’s teacher at the end of the school day or contact the office to make an appointment.

Alternatively you can speak to your child’s class teacher at one of the regular parent-teacher consultations.

The Class Teacher is responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and informing the inclusion team.
  • Writing Individual Education Plans (IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can make the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the SEND pupils they teach.

The Inclusion Leader or the Support Inclusion Leader

If your child has identified learning needs or requires additional support then the best person to talk to is either the Inclusion Leader or the Support Inclusion Leader at our school. They are responsible for:

  •  Co-ordinating and reviewing support across the school to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:

      - involved in supporting your child’s learning

      - kept informed about the support your child is getting 

      - involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • Liaising with all outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapy and Educational Psychology who work closely with the school and help to support your child’s learning.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Assistant Headteachers (Learning Phase Leaders)

Each Assistant Headteacher is responsible for ensuring the needs of all the children including those with SEND or Additional Needs (AN) within his/her Learning Phase are met. Learning Phase 1 includes the Foundation Stage 1, 2 and Year 1, Learning Phase 2 includes  Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4,  while Learning Phase 3 includes Year 5 and Year 6.

Deputy Headteacher (Nepal) and Deputy Headteacher (UK)

The Deputy Headteachers support and advise the Assistant Headteachers and the Inclusion Team in ensuring the needs of all children across the school, including those with SEND or AN, are met.


The Headteacher is responsible for the management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND or AN.

The Headteacher gives responsibility for the day to day management of SEND to the Inclusion Leader, Support Inclusion Leader and class teachers but has overall responsibility for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.